Sunday, October 19, 2008

J.C. Ryle


Well, I am finally embarking on a first-time read of Holiness, by J.C. Ryle.  I'm excited - I have heard from a few friends over the years about what a great influence this book has been on them, and I have meant to read it for a while.  

To begin with, Ryle's whole premise is that modern "Christendom" has gone and lost a great deal of what it means for a person who has been born-again to fight for holiness and for his/her sanctification. 

Ryle also states that he has purposefully left out names of contemporary preachers, and contemporary works of literature that have influenced his skeptical opinions of much of modern Christianity.  By doing this, his voice seems all the more contemporary as he speaks to common problems going on within the Church.  I am surprised how current the work seems, considering the second edition was published in 1879.  

I am going to go read - I'll be posting some thoughts here and there as I go.

Adios. 

No comments: