Friday, November 28, 2008

The New Atheism

I've been watching some of the debates from the past year-or-so between the prominent figures of the New Atheism, and various people who are trying to defend theism; I have to say that I am equally encouraged and discouraged.  It causes me a great deal of pain to see a certain Fox News political commentator (Bill O'Reilly),  trying to debate the verity of religion and the Christian faith with a man like Christopher Hitchens, without even truly believing it himself.  Sean Hannity did fine I suppose; although he really addressed the same questions about atheism that a great deal of other Christians probably would, while missing the real issues at the core of Hitchens' beliefs.  Douglas Wilson from New Saint Andrews University does a great job contending for the Christian faith, and I am very encouraged that Hitchens and Wilson and touring together in light of their book Is Christianity Good for the World.  

I enjoy the debates with Hitchens, mainly because he is both eloquent, and openly hostile to Christianity, and any other religious belief system (but Christianity especially - he states that the Protestant Christian faith is the least possible of all of the faith systems).  He makes me think, which is very good for me, or for anyone I suppose.  Biblical answers to the statements of the New Atheism are there, though, for anyone who would truly work to know the Scriptures.  I have said it before and I will say it again and again, that the problem with too many individuals today is this: everyone wants to have an opinion, but no one has studied; no one has done their research.

Again, I am discouraged on a certain level; however, I amend what I said above.  I am not equally discouraged and encouraged, because God is sovereign and good; He is gracious and merciful; He does not change; he is faithful to accomplish His good purposes, and will be glorified.  God would be glorified if everyone came to Christ, and He would be equally glorified if every person embraced a position of atheism.  God defines all things, and He simply 'is" in all the fullness of His character.  Amen.

No comments: